Tuesday, March 31, 2009

grace

last night in my small group, we were going through the last chapter of paul's second letter to timothy, and we got into a conversation about grace. chris brought up the fact that almost every epistle in the new testament begins and/or ends with some form of the phrase, "grace be with you." as we discussed this, i realized that paul and i had something in common.

paul grew up in a jewish culture where it was all about what you did. the pharisees had great influence in this. it was all about rules. to a much lesser degree, i grew up (as the son of a baptist pastor) in a rules based religious structure. *this "rules based" religious system was not constructed by my parents, but by the people of the church creating a fish bowl in which i was to live and move and breathe. for much of my middle school and high school spiritual life, i acted out of fear of how i would be judged (by church-members) more than out of genuine love for JESUS... so, i understand why paul talks about grace so much, beginning and ending almost every letter with an affirmation of the grace we have in Christ.

i have to CONTINUALLY remind myself of this grace that changes things. everything. i want to live a life full of grace. i want to live a life that oozes grace to people i don't get along with, to my family, to my friends, to my co-workers.

rest assured in the overwhelming grace of God. give it/show it/live it to others.

"The Lord be with your spirit. Grace be with you." (2 timothy 4:22)

3 comments:

Kimberly Culbertson said...

Kellen, you rock. I doubt there are any of us, especially in church culture, who don't need to be reminded constantly of this fact. Thanks, man :)

Tommy said...

"I acted out of fear of how i would be judged (by church-members) more than out of genuine love for JESUS."

I totally feel you on this. Great thoughts on the subject bro.

kellen owenby said...

thanks guys.