Wednesday, December 10, 2008

ode

today, i miss athens. here are some things that make the list:

jittery joe's @ 5 points, park hall, cine, blind pig, barberito's, north campus, downtown, 86f, the fam, courtney and k thor talking about 6 girl, milledge avenue, wesley, watkinsville fbc, will's mom's house, the fire pit at the farm, christmas tree hunt, the 40 watt, swat, jon's house, yin yang mocha, waterfall, the elephant dance, main library, practice rooms at the school of music, the botanical gardens, trapeze, tasty world, milkshakes at the grill, inoko express, beechwood chickfila, rafferty's with chris black, hamburger sauce, georgia theater.

yesterday, i ran across this poem that i wrote about a regular at jittery joe's 5 points.

A Jittery Joe

Each note from his guitar ministers to his surroundings. The song in the tree above him flies away but continually returns. Her home is the tree that shades his favorite place. His home is the bench between the outdoor restroom and the front door. The two garage doors at the front of the building, almost imperceptible, reveal that his favorite coffee shop used to be a service station. Now, from open to close, it is a home. It is his home, but I’m not sure he ever goes in. Hushed. The calm intensity adds to his mystery. Everyone sees him there, but no one says hi. I’m not sure he sees us. But I see him. I see him there, hazy sunlight peering through his horn-rimmed glasses to squinting eyes. His eyes are lines of satisfaction on a sun-dried face. A gentle voice leaks from parted lips, chapped by the ever present breeze. The indiscernible notes that result, minister to the addicts around him, seeking their daily fix. With every strum, the wind whips in approval around the ancient façade of the bustling landmark, satisfied with his tranquil ministry.

2 comments:

karlee said...

Hey Kellen!! I just started following your blog. I am obsessed with reading people's blogs I think! I just discovered how fascinating they are! ANyways that's awesome that you moved to Chicago! I hope it's going really well! I only moved to Atlanta (I want to go somewhere exciting and new eventually! maybe after nursing school...) But I miss Athens, too. I've already learned that even when you go back and visit, it's different than when you were there. It's kind of sad how that changes. But good too, I guess! I remember the freshmen retreat waaay back when and Jamaica and how I thought you were really good at wording things. I appreciate good writing and your blog has that!

Alan said...

Things I also miss: post-it notes ALL over the house that say, "HARDCORE," random condiments left in the living room, stockings hung up year-round, random football throwing in the parking lot & side yard, Octavious B. Frothingham & rigging the tree "stand," Hardcore's singing, watching the world series on the front porch every night, harry's cooking (roommate spaghetti night), tailgating in the yard, coming up with ludicrous ways to decide who gets what bedroom, the nook in the master bathroom, driving to that random college for the Shane & Shane concert freshman year, certain random neighbors that came over at weird times