Monday, October 13, 2008

small victory

today, i went to borders bookstore. i love it there. however, i do have a tendency to fall into the trap of buying the newest book by one of my favorite christian authors almost every time i go. however, i've been learning so much lately about slowing down my performance driven understanding of what it means to be a christian and just allowing God to renovate me from the inside out. easier said than done to be sure.

so, today when i was at borders, i ran across rob bell's new book, Jesus wants to save christians. i couldn't have agreed more with the title. but i resisted the temptation to just buy another book to buy another book, and i put it down. i will read this book at some point, but that does not mean i have to rush through it right now.

this is pretty much the first time that i have resisted such an urge. it's a really small step. but it is a step. a step towards killing my performance based spirituality. a step towards life. maybe even a step towards Jesus saving this christian.

what is the one thing in your life that, although it isn't inherently bad, you wish Jesus would save you from? i understand if you don't want to comment. but it could be cool if you did...

3 comments:

Tommy said...

Generally, I struggle with the same performance driven attitude. Similarly, I have lately had this incessant need to please everyone, which as we know is impossible.

Lindsey said...

your words echo so much of my heart sometimes!
or...my heart echos your words!

lately, i've been asking God to save me from my perfectionism, and my fears of making mistakes.

Ron said...

I have this insane need to know that I made a difference in some persons life TODAY. And sometimes God seems to just want me to chill out and "be." As a matter-of-fact, that's a place He's got me at in life right now. Like ... long term. I'm use to fast paced ministry and now He has me in low gear.

There's a lesson here. Somewhere.

But can I just go on record as saying ... AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!

Thank you.